Saturday 13 June 2015

Mudlarking Haul

I was excited to show my friend Flora the wonders of the lark life, so I got the train down and we headed off to the foreshore. She was well prepared with old shoes and gloves, and I had an endless supply of carrier bags- basically we were in it for the long haul. Despite our enthusiasm, overall, I was pretty disappointed with my finds. I was looking forward to finding bits and bobs that I thought were guaranteed to be there so I could talk her through explaining what things are, what to look for, but there was scarcely anything to be had.
   Added to that, there were a couple of guys there with metal detectors and huge spades, digging in the no dig zone, and not even having the decency to fill in the holes afterwards. I dunno, maybe they just put me in a bad mood. But anyways,
Above: mudlarking haul
Here are the finds. On the bright side, at least my bag wasn't heavy for the journey home. Finds include raked slipware, green and blue transferware, green Tudor glazed shard, Chinese import porcelain, floor tile, stoneware bottle top with cork, broken decorated pipe bowls, a fossil of some type of algae, decorated bellarmine, hand painted delft fragments, and my saving grace- some Tudor dress pins.

Better luck next time MudChan!

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful way to spend a day! And such interesting finds too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful way to spend a day! And such interesting finds too!

    ReplyDelete